African Fashion International’s (AFI) Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Joburg 2016 (MBFWJ) is a career highlight for many aspiring designers and models, and it takes a team of dedicated stylists, sponsors and personnel to create the annual fashion spectacular and to make the event worthy of its stellar reputation as a showcase for leading local design.
AFIGroup Marketing Manager Sizwe Nzimande offered some insights into just what it takes to pull off a fashion event of this magnitude, as well as sharing insight into the behind-the-scenes workings of the fashion event that’s penned into everyone’s calendars:
5 Fun Facts:
- Around 100 of South Africa’s best models will walk 15 shows over a three-day period – talk about a bevy of beauties in one fabulous place!
- Months of planning go into a single fashion show, but each showcase only lasts about 10 minutes
- It will take 42 M.A.C make-up artists working for 84 hours each over the three days of MBFWJ to create the beautiful faces that grace the runway
- It will take 25 GHD hair stylists working 675 hours over nine-hourshifts to create hair styles that will complement the design language of each designer’s range
- With current trends leaning more towards textured looks and away from straight, blunt styles, each styling team spends around two hours planning every model’s look and then executing it in minutes in the highly stressful backstage environment
“MBFWJ would not be possible without with the collaboration of brands, companies and people that work tirelessly to create the showpiece for Africa’s refined fashion” says Nzimande.
#MBFWJ is one week away and you can trust that I will let you know what’s what with all the fashion happenings. If there is anything you want me to focus on, pop me an email or a message on Facebook.
Otherwise get our tickets to the different shows here – https://www.webtickets.co.za/event.aspx?itemid=1461916676 ..and who knows, we might just meet and mingle there!